It's late July, folks.
1. Last Saturday was a Marsh family gathering. This large group doesn't get together too often anymore, but it was such a pleasant day. Except for all the screaming from Bria. My little girl was That Girl for the day. It's so hard to simultaneously teach your children to share while teaching them that they are not entitled to anything and can't have things simply because they want them. I felt so bad for my cousin's little boy, who was just trying to make Bria feel better, and she responded by taking the toy he offered her and hucking it across the yard. So. Much. Screaming. But maybe the whole family will just appreciate it all the more when we win this battle and she comes out on the other side kind and well-adjusted.
2. Bria is now in a big girl bed! We took down the crib for the last time and set up the twin bed for her. She's done great, since we have a gate up on the bed and she treats it like a crib, just like her sister. She knows how to get in the bed, but she calls out for help to get down. Alaina offered to show her how to get out of bed and I said a firm "No, thank you." So for now we're in a good place.
3. On Tuesday we spent the day at Grammy's playing with cousins. Jamie and Nick were in Mexico, so the White kids were staying up at Grammy's with Cora (bless her soul!) to babysit them. So I took my kids up for a day of cousin fun. They all did quite well together. We played outside all morning and made good use of an egg timer. When you have a six kids playing together, all you have to do is set a timer for five minutes. Every time it goes off something changes. It doesn't matter what. Most of the time it was time for someone else to play with a (insert toy). The timer trick was quite handy. And every so often (especially if they had food) they would get all quiet and calm and it was serene. It was a fun day.
4. The Tooth Fairy didn't get much of a break before she had to come back. Alaina pulled one of her lower teeth this week, after an encounter with corn on the cob set it on it's path to eviction. I guess we're in the Holey Mouth stage at our house.
5. In the spirit of summer, I thought I'd share with you my favorite summer salad. I got this recipe from Facebook and modified it because avocados = gross. So make this Grilled Corn, Cucumber, Tomato Salad and enjoy.
Grilled Corn - a couple of ears or so, cut from the cob. Make sure it's grilled.
One cucumber - quartered
Grape or Cherry tomatoes - halved
Mix together, then add this delicious Honey Lime Dressing:
1 Tbsp honey
2 Tbsp lime juice
3 Tbsp vegetable oil
One clove of garlic, minced
dash cayenne pepper
sea salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
Mix well and then chill for at least 15 minutes. Then eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner. So good!
Stay cool, friends!
11 months ago